A New (York) Story

Sunday, October 29, 2006

A New (York) Story: First Visit to Down town



If you ask me (I know you won’t ask this ;)) to Define New York I would say “New York is the ‘showcase’ of the World”. You just name the religion, Culture or Community in this world... You will find equal representation here at New York. A real New-Yorker can be an American, Black, European, Chinese, Japanese or Indian…or can be Christian, Hindu, Muslim or Baudhha… when you are in New York you are New Yorker….

The pace of this city make you run along… this city has charm... a global face... smell of money is every where.. Neatness... you will find something familiar to your culture... But still you are alone… This city is running... Walking... Crawling... Singing... Dancing… eating... Roaming... whatever may be the time but city is always busy... Indeed, it is a very “Alive” city.

As I said earlier, you will always find something similar to your own culture/place somewhere... But if you are from Mumbai (Like Me) for you everything is familiar, similar but still different. And hence you can’t stop comparing the cities… It has everything that my Mumbai has... it has Local trains... It has Very fast life... It has mix population... It has variety of food... It has Awesome downtown... Nevertheless it has hawkers and beggars too ;)

My Job Was on The famous Wall Street... and at one of the oldest stock exchanges in the world “New York Stock Exchange”. My First Working Day was something like a dream..
With help of one of my friend I catch the train... The way of getting tickets was simple and effective.. My mind automatically (and rather unnecessarily) started comparing the two cities.. There unless you punch your ticket you can enter the Station… But then I though if we want to implement this kind of system.. I am sure for most of people it will result in miss of usual train .. I wan simple system but was it feasible for large crowd like stations like CST or Churchgate??

Any way I caught the train.. Surprisingly the train was crowded.. With my knowledge through movies about USA was nice trains with proper seats.. But here train was pack like Mumbai.. With my expertise knowledge of catching train ;) I could get into it.. It was as pack as our train.. but difference was there was no space to stand in door.. as doors closes .. and second difference was crowd was very decent.. No horrible perfumes... and no body contact.. people leave train if they cant get in properly.. (Of course here in India it is not feasible to leave a train :D)

I get down At WTC station.. World Trade center.. The Station was beneath the famous twin towers.. From here you can see the Ground zero.. It was first glimps of new york for me.. I came out of train and saw that even at this crowded place.. Same huge crowd as in any big station in India.. and the ticket validation was working as effectively as in journal square.. (So for me it is nice simple and implementable system in India with People cooperation)..


I came out with the large flow of people and my first view of New York was nothing but Tall Sky scrapper.. buildings are really tall.. so long that if you wear hat and try to see top floor.. your hat should fell definitely :D

So I was in downtown.. The New York down town... I was on mid of Wall street.. I was among few who were entering in “New York Stock Exchange”… I was among few who get to work in Down town of New York... I was the one who was beginning new American Journey in very new city .. with new hope… new dereams… Or you can say I was in very friendly and wonderful city with many new things.. some already in front of me and many yet to come…

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

couldn't stop myself reading further....loved d comparison with 'Amachi Mumbai' :)

-Pallo

7:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home